How Much Does A Whole House Generator Cost?
The average cost to install a whole house generator is $3,700. Costs to install a whole house generate range from $400 to $9,500 for the US in 2019.
How Much Is It to Install Whole House Standby vs Portable Generators?
The cost is dependent on the square footage of the house and how the generator is used and the power you need it to generate. A compact standby unit for your whole house can be obtained for around $500. Conversely, one capable of generating more than 20kW of power will set you back up to $6,000.
The cost of portable generators run from $400 all the way up to $2,000. Of course, you will require a transfer switch that connects to your circuit box. These switches cost between $500 and $900.
Each Option has its own Pro’s and Cons:
- Pro: Cheap but demand more work.
- Con: Owners must be home to refuel when needed and switch the generator on and off.
- Pro: They work during an outage even if you are away from home.
- Pro: They work for one to three years of constant use.
- Pro: Capable of enduring for longer than a decade if only used in urgent circumstances.
- Con: The costs are expensive for homes larger than a normal sized condo.
How Much Does Natural Gas Generator Installation Cost?
The cost of natural gas generators ranges from around $1,900 to $5,000. They do consume a greater amount of fuel however a big advantage is they connect to the utility grid thus it removes the need for batteries or local fuel.
What Are Common Installation Price Factors?
Obviously, generators have the benefit of producing power on demand should the grid go offline. However, if you plan to install a generator consider the following:
- How much power do you need to generate? An expert can help you with this because the calculation is complex.
- Does your budget and requirements for the unit suggest a portable or standby is most suitable?
- What type of fuel does the generator require? You have options available like diesel, natural gas, petrol and solar is becoming increasingly popular!
- Is the unit hard to reach? This may increase the cost of installation.
How Much Does a Generac Generator Cost?
The average cost of a Generac standby system is $1,900 for a 7kW unit. The more powerful 22kW unit can range up to $5,800. That produced enough power to run a home measuring 5,000 square foot for the day. The fuel source for the generator makes an impact on the cost. Gasoline fed models can cost up to $3,000 while models running on diesel cost up to $15,000. Installation costs range from $500 to $3,000 – many experts recommend planning for the cost of installation to equal the cost of the investment in the generator. Generac’s portable models are less expensive than standby units and the cost of these depending on the size run from $300 to $3,000.
Generator Maintenance Factors
You have to keep your standby unit properly maintained if it is to work for you in the manner you intend it too. Be sure to schedule routine maintenance and check-ups. A check-up should cover all the parts required by the type of unit you have. You can learn more about costs of generator upkeep and repair here.
Maintenance is not really a DIY job. It is recommended homeowners use a professional and make sure the contractor is a licensed electrician. Also, ensure they are registered with the county and have the right permits for the work. If you want to sell your house, for example, with the generator as part of it, it is essential to keep all the documentation.
Lammon Electric Sells Portable & Standby Generators
If you live or do business in the Albany or Troy, NY, Lammon Electric can supply you with Generac Generators. Give us a call today or view our main website pages to learn more about our generator repair and installation services.